Pages

Jan 3, 2008

Arizona's 5 Best Units for 2008 - Part 5

With many other Arizona units capable of producing giant bucks it's hard to narrow down the Top 5, so this entry will be "sleeper" unit (note that I use the term "sleeper" loosely.)

Units 4A and 4B:

We don't scout these units as much as we'd like, but last year I found an 84+ in only one half day of scouting and the year before we found an 85+ and an 86+ in limited scouting. A few years ago rumors of a couple upper 80's and a 90 incher being killed were floating around. The potential is there for a 90 incher - remember O'Haco's buck?

Both units are beautiful to scout and provide that knot-in-your-gut feeling you get when you just know a monster is over the next rise.

Last Year:
4A Rifle: 10 tags, 1% draw chance
4B Rifle: 10 tags, 1%
4B Archery: 20 tags, 13%

This Year:
4A Rifle: 10
4B Rifle: 15
4B Archery: 20

Mike O'Haco's former B&C World Record - 93 4/8.

3 comments:

jhull said...

I kind wish you had not posted this, This was my sleeper unit as well and it will be my 2nd choice behind 10 for archery... Now everybody will try for it!!!

John

Eli Grimmett said...

Haha. Oops! Sorry. The draw odds are so bad everywhere in Arizona that I don't think a few extra people are really going to make a difference. Especially since no one reads my blog except for you! ;)

But, to make things right...don't forget to apply for Unit 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, and 21! Those are also super great "sleeper" units! :) In reality, they probably are all decent "sleeper" units - some not as sleepy as others. Any one of them could spit out a 90 or two (except for Unit 21 - I really don't think it has a shot.)

jhull said...

No biggie, I am sure more people read this blog than you think. At least they should. The sleeper units in my mind are the wooded areas. I think I saw a 90 inch antelope in 11m a few years back and in 6B and 7 this past year saw 3 - 4 85+ goats. Lots of places to hide in the forest. It is too hard to hunt and find them!!!!