Pages

Dec 15, 2006

Big Areas and Big Bucks


The biggest bucks in the world are in Arizona and New Mexico, but you already knew that. Did you know that the biggest bucks in the world are also in Oregon and Nevada? Most hunters don't think of Oregon and Nevada when they think of 90 inch bucks, but those two states have them and the 90's they do have are just as big as the 90's we have - only farther north.

In Nevada it's tough to find the monsters because of the trecherous rocky terrain and the fact that the antelope up there sometimes live right where the deer and sheep live! There aren't as many 90's so they're tough to find. I'd recommend sticking to the northwest corner if you're really looking for a trophy.

As for Oregon - they have 90's, too. I think Oregon could easily produce a 95 inch buck again (Sam Barry's buck scored 94 6/8 after 60 days of drying.) The areas to look are mostly in the southeast of the state near the big ponds. Hart Mountain is good as are the Beatty's and I've heard good things about the Steens Mountains, but I didn't see squat when I was there - probably in the wrong area.

I might get more specific in the next blog on where exactly the biggest bucks are in Arizona since the draw is right around the corner. Stay tuned.

Tally Ho.

2 comments:

jhull said...

I like the new format, So I guess you can add web page design to your Fantasy Baseball and Antelope Guiding things you do well

John

Eli Grimmett said...

Thanks for the comments. I'm trying to do what I can with the site and blog. Maybe I'll add that to my profile. Haha. Oh, and thanks for reading.